Is it legal to disconnect power in the home of a pregnant woman?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is it legal to disconnect power in the home of a pregnant woman?

I’m currently 8.5 months pregnant and my power was disconnected this morning while I was sleeping. I wasn’t giving any notice of disconnection through mail or email. I also have a 1 and 2 year old who lives here also. I was told its illegal t to do so is this true? Since I’m unemployed at the moment and now

struggling to find places for us to sleep at night.

Asked on August 25, 2017 under Business Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Who disconnected it? If it's a rental unit, your landlord may not turn it off to force you out--that is an illegal "self-help" eviction and you could go to court to get it turned back on. (Contact your county courthouse for instructions.)
If it is utility turning if off for nonpayment, it is legal. The fact that you are pregnant or have young children does not give you any legal right to get power without paying for it. To turn it back on, pay any back-due amounts or else contac them to come to a payment plan--and when you do, honor it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption