Disclosure of Social Security Number on W2

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Disclosure of Social Security Number on W2

The employer mailed the W2 forms with the
Social Security number showing in the address
window. Therefore employee name, address
and social security number were visible. Does
the employer required to provide an option to
motinor credit for employees?

Asked on January 24, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, the law does not require them to provide credit monitoring; and you could only sue them if you suffer from loss (such as from identity theft) traceable to this--if nothing happens, there is no grounds for legal action, since the law only provides compensation for actual loss, harm, costs, etc. (It would, however, be wise for them to offer credit monitoring, since that would help avoid or reduce liability for them, by hopefully heading off problems before they become significant--but they are allowed by law to make the unwise choice and take their chances.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption