What to due about a car accident with a rental car?

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to due about a car accident with a rental car?

A vehicle being driven by a Mexican national and owned by a car rental company collided with my vehicle and then fled the scene of the accident. The license plate from the rental vehicle was embedded in the side of my vehicle so there is no dispute about fault. The rental was rented using a corporate credit card. I have sought recovery of diminution of value losses, as well as costs due to loss of use of my vehicle from the rental company. So far they have denied my claims. What are my options?

Asked on February 12, 2012 under Accident Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The way for you to find the responsible party for the accident that you were in involving a rental car is for you to contact the rental car company and ascertain who the car was rented to at the time of the accident and the employer of the individual.

If you had a policy of insurance for your vehicle in place at the time of the accident you are writing about, I would simply turn the entire claim over to your insurance carrier to get the information about the person who was driving the other car and his or her employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption