Didn’t get paid, what do I do?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Didn’t get paid, what do I do?

I work in the state of NH, payday was todaythursday and I never got paid. They told me they lost/missplaced my check so I have to wait until Monday, 5 days. They also made me feel like it was my fault because I didn’t sign up for direct deposit, telling me I have to get direct deposit. No one evenoffered to help me out until Monday. I feel like they should be cutting me a check and handing it to me tomorrow Friday because that’s what the law says. What are my choices/actions I should take?

Asked on October 26, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There's no real action you could take. Yes, you could in theory try to sue for the money, but based on what you write, you will be paid weeks before even a small claims case would reach the courthouse, at which point--since you would have been paid--the case will be "moot" (or irrelevant) and be dismissed; you will have incurred the cost of filing the case and spent time/effort on it for nothing. When you are talking about a delay of a few days in payment, there is no practical solution or recourse.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption