Didn’t change the title of a car to my name, got into a car accident, what is going to happen?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Didn’t change the title of a car to my name, got into a car accident, what is going to happen?

I bought a car. I have the title but it is not under my name. I got into a car accident, the car was impounded. The previous owner got a letter there are fees for the car being on the side of the road, but it is not. I was told by an officer that the car was towed and is in the impound. What do I do?

Asked on December 1, 2017 under Accident Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need to go down to vehicle registration and get the title into your name, asap.  In the meantime, you should go with the owner and retrieve the vehicle from impound so as to avoid additional fees.  The owner may have to go with you to give you consent to get the vehicle as it is still in his/her name.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption