Did my wife abandon me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Did my wife abandon me?

My wife left at the beginning of February and has only been home a few times just to pick up our son
and keep him for a few days and bring him back . She has kept our daughter the entire time.
She was the only one working and I have health issues. and now she is asking me for child support.
for our daughter. I just don’t know what to do. I cannot afford to talk to a lawyer much less hire one.

We have had our problems communicating but I had no clue it was bad enough for her to leave.
there is no abuse physical or verbal unless you consider her lack of affection abuse which I didn’t
But I dont know now.

Asked on March 26, 2018 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  You may be able to call the local bar association and see about anyone who does a free consultation in the area or legal aid has divorce clinics about filing and may be able to direct you to clinics that have help.  The issue becomes income and the number of days that you have the child/children and who is listed as "the custodial" parent.  Income and ability to pay for both of the parents is what is taken in to consideration. 123 days is the magic number.  It sounds as if you have your son full time. And it sounds like you may need a break from the situation as well. Take this time to try and get some emotional support yourself.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption