Did my employer harass me when he made unnecessary comments about my need to breast pump at work?

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Did my employer harass me when he made unnecessary comments about my need to breast pump at work?

Last year I had a baby and returned to work 6 weeks after his birth. I asked my manager if I could take one break a night to pump milk for my son. My manager said breast feeding is disgusting and he didn’t “want to know about it.” This made it difficult for me to ask permission. Then when I did he would tell me “not to get milk on his desk.” etc. I was also walked in on several times even with a sign on the door, because all managers have keys. I quit breastfeeding because of the harassment. I then was let go do to a problem with a male employee harassing me. Conveniently, they fired us both. Do I have any legal rights in this situation?  Should I speak with an employment law attorney? In Monroe County, PA

Asked on September 1, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Definitely speak with an employment law attorney. Sex-based harassment or discrimination at work is illegal, and making harassing comments to a women about using a breast pump, and then walking in on her in the situations you describe, could easily constitute sex-based harassment. Firing you later could be sex-based discrimination (even if they also fired a man at the same time, that does not mean that you were not discriminated against). And firing you after you complained of harassment may be illegal retaliation. Therefore, from what  you write, you may well have a one or more causes of action, and it would be worthwhile to consult with an attorney, who can evaluate all the circumstances in detail and advise you as to your rights and options. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption