Did hospital err in giving me 6 BP pills at one time?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Did hospital err in giving me 6 BP pills at one time?

I was given BP meds to bring my BP down. Each day I was given 2 pills periodically by nurse. On 3rd day a new nurse came in and gave me 6 pills at one time. Within 15 min my body was

wrecked with pain, I was nauseated and almost passed out. They had to give me a bag of fluids to run it out of my system. It cause my BP to drop 100/54 when initially it ranged from 200/109

to about 184/101 and so on. Did the nurse err in giving me that many pills?

Asked on February 19, 2018 under Malpractice Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

She may well have erred--that is, committed malpractice, by doing something careless, negligent, or against accepted medical practice or standards. However, if--as we hope--you have recovered well and did not suffer significant lasting harm or incur many thousands of dollars of additional medical costs, there is no point in taking legal action. In a lawsuit, including a medical malpractice case, you can only recover compensation eqquivalent to the injury and costs you experienced. Given that malpractice cases are very expensive--even if you act as your own attorney ("pro se"), which is not recommended for such a complex case, you MUST hire a medical expert to testify and write a report, and that can be expensive. Therefore, without significant lasting injury or large expenses, you would spend more on the case than you would get back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption