If detectives told me over the phone that they have probable cause to arrest me andthat Ineed to turn myself in, should I?

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 12, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If detectives told me over the phone that they have probable cause to arrest me andthat Ineed to turn myself in, should I?

I asked what I’m being charged with and they said “We can’t say over the phone only in person”. So I asked if there is a warrant for my arrest they said “We can’t say over phone only in person”. They came to my house 3 days in a row looking for me (I was not staying there at the time of course). It’s been over a week now and they haven’t been back since. Should I continue to hide out or turn myself in? If I turn myself in won’t that make me look guilty? Do I need to speak with a criminal defense attoreny? In Seatlle, WA.

Asked on July 12, 2010 under Criminal Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Get a criminal defense attorney to advise and represent you--NOW. An attorney can advise you on how to respond to this situation; and if it's appropriate to turn yourself in, he or she can help make the arrangements and negotiate any details or logistics with the police on your behalf. In the meantime, do not say anything to anyone connected with either the police or prosecutors office--anything you say can and will be used against you. (Remember: under the Fifth Amendment, you have an absolute right to not incriminate yourself, which is usually called the "right to remain silent.")

Whenever the police are trying to contact you, you should get legal representation. Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption