Can a dental office issue a summons to me for a debt my adult son didn’t pay?

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a dental office issue a summons to me for a debt my adult son didn’t pay?

They are using a contract I signed 2 years earlier for work I had done. I have copies of the bills and the form they are using.

Asked on January 19, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Utah


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If I am understanding your question properly, they are suing you for your son because of a contract you signed for YOUR work?  No, they can not sue you for his work based upon your agreement to pay for your work just because he is your son.  He is an adult and if he went to the dentist to get work done on his own then they should have had HIM sign an agreement for payment himself and not assumed that you would be responsible for payment.  Send them a letter by certified mail requesting a copy of the document you signed as guarantor for HIS work.  And let them know that if they can not produce it and they continue to request the money or in any way attempt to collect the debt or report it to the credit bureaus under your name that you will report them and file a complaint with the state bureau for professional licensing.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption