What are my rights if I had a dental implant that caused nerve damage?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I had a dental implant that caused nerve damage?

The surgery date was 2 months ago. I have numbness and pain on my face from lower jaw implant. The dentist is checking on me but there is no improvment. Can I ask the dentist to pay for nerve damage repair and compensation for the cost of dental implant that he performed?

Asked on March 9, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You can certainly ask for compensation. If the dentist will not pay it, you'd have to sue--bring and win a malpractice suit--to recover the money. Bear in mind that not every bad outcome is malpractice; the law accepts that medicine is still an art, not a science, in many ways, and sometimes a doctor or dentist does everything right, but the patient still suffers. For it to be  malpractice, the dentist must typically have been careless, or negligent in some way, so that he provided medical care which does not meet currently accepted standards: for example, he misdiagnosed what you needed, or used the wrong type of implant, or performed the procedure in a careless or substandard way, etc. If malpractice was committed, you could potentially recover the medical costs it caused you to incur, and possibly also some amount for pain and suffering. You should consult in person with a medical malpractice attorney to see if you may have a case, what it might be worth, and what it may cost to pursue it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption