Denial of service

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Denial of service

I have been dealing with my insurance company for over 2 months now. They are refusing coverage for my sons occupational therapy. They keep telling me that it needs to be adjusted because he also receives speech services at the same clinic so the insurance company is bundling the 2 together when in fact it’s 2 completely separate service. My plan includes occupational therapy and speech therapy. I called to verify benefits before we started. What are my options at this point?

Asked on June 18, 2019 under Insurance Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Ultimately, if you and they cannot resolve this to your satisfaction, your recourse would be to sue your insurer for "breach of contract" to get the extra payments or coverage. An insurance police is a contract, and the insurer is therefore legally obligated to provide the coverage that the policy says that do. If they are violating your reading or interpretation of the policy, you would sue them for breach of contract; if you can convince a court of your interpretation, the court can order payment of charges incurred to date and coverage going forward.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption