Delinquent tax sales

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Delinquent tax sales

If a property is up for auction due to tax delinquency and a 3rd party pays the property taxes before the deadline, do the same rules apply as if it was sold as auction? i.e. the deed is transferred to the 3rd party without public auction? does the 3rd party have any rights to the property if they don’t get reimbursed for one year by delinquent owner?

Asked on October 27, 2019 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Paying the taxes for the owner gives the third party NO rights to the property--the 3rd party essentially gifted the tax payment to the owner--unless the owner entered into an agreement (before the taxes were paid) staging that the owner does not repay the taxes within a set period of time, he or she will transfer (e.g. quitclaim) the property to the  payor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption