UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption


I found someone credit card in the
store and mailed it in the mailbox
but my girlfriend that was with me
took a picture of it and had used
it under my name to order things
with it and got me arrested for it
now I have a warrant for my arrest
what should I do

Asked on September 26, 2018 under Criminal Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You hire a lawyer is what you do. On its face, someone else's credit card being used to order things *under your name*, it appears that you committed the crime, or at least participated in it. Unless your girlfriend suddenly admits it was all her and you had nothing to do with it, you could go to jail for this--and especially if she, to save herself, tries to put most of the blame on you. Hire a criminal defense attorney NOW to help you surrender yourself given the warrant (but hopefully then go home, either on your own recognizance or with bail) and then fight the charges.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption