Define “my” customer

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Define “my” customer

My landlord is claiming “my” customers are defacing the property when they leave my store. At what point are they my customers and when are they the mall customers?

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If your landlord is coming after you for the cost of cleaning up after the vandalism, you need to take your lease to a local real estate lawyer, who can give you reliable advice after reviewing all of the facts.

I'd be very interesting in seeing just what evidence the landlord has, that the people defacing the property are doing it after coming from your store.  Unless you're selling spray paint or whatever is being used in the vandalism, I'd be inclined to resist accepting any liability for what's done outside your store, where you have no ability to control anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption