What should I do if the defendant’s lawyer is asking for my social security number?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if the defendant’s lawyer is asking for my social security number?

I have reached an agreement with the defendant’s lawyer and in the settlement letter asking for agreement it asks for my SSN. Is this to confirm that I did not accept any monies from the insurance company for diminution in value?

Asked on March 15, 2016 under Accident Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The attorney is asking for your social for tax purposes.  Depending on how the settlement is structured, part of it could be considered income for which you would have to report to the IRA and pay taxes on.  Before you finalize any agreements, have an attorney and accountant look it over.  Many attorneys and accountants offer free or inexpensive consults.  If they give you tips on how to structure the deal... it would be a significant cost savings at tax time.... and therefore worth your time and investment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption