If the deed to a home is in both mine and my sister’s names and I want to rent the home but she does not, can I rent without her consent?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If the deed to a home is in both mine and my sister’s names and I want to rent the home but she does not, can I rent without her consent?

My father lives with me. He would like to see the house that he used to own rented to my cousin and his wife. My sister does not want to rent it even though there is no one living in the home. I just want to know if I can rent it without her consent. My father is not listed on the deed. It was the home that we were raised in.

Asked on September 20, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

She can block your renting it out if she chooses by going to court and getting an order barring that: you cannot take her rights to use and possess the home (if she chose) by renting it to another who will occupy it. Or she could go to court and seek an order forcing the sale of the house, since a forced sale and distribution of the proceeds (equity) is the law's remedy when the owners of real estate cannot decide what to do with it. You wish to consider seeing if you can buy your sister out; then you could rent it and keep all the rental proceeds. (If you did rent it out while she is an owner, he'd get half the proceeds.) 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption