What to do if my deceased father has state tax lien on his SSN?

UPDATED: May 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my deceased father has state tax lien on his SSN?

My father just died. Apparently there is a state lien placed against his SSN because of unpaid taxes related to his business. My mother fears that this will affect her Social Security benefits or that she will have to pay (or lose her house, etc) the money that my father did not pay. Is she safe? What should she do?

Asked on May 21, 2012 under Estate Planning, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If there is a state tax lien against your deceased father's social security benefits related to his business, it will have no effect upon your mother's social security benefits for the simple fact that with the passing of your father, social security benefits as to him end.

If the state lien has not been reduced to a judgment, then the state will have to make a claim as to money owed with respect to assets of your father's estate for payment. I suggest that you consult further with a Wills and trust attorney about the situation you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption