Death and credit card bill

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Death and credit card bill

My uncle passed away this month. He never married and had no kids; he lived with my family. The only bill he had left was a credit card bill for over $10,000; no other users signed on the card. I was his POA until his death. The only money he has remaining is $350 in his checking account, which I assume is paid to the bank towards the credit card. The bank is sending me emails about payment due. What is my responsibility?

Asked on January 29, 2019 under Estate Planning, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You have to use estate money or assets to pay debts like this, so if he had tangible property (like cars, artwork, jewlery) or real estate, you might need to liquidate or sell some or all of it to pay off claims (debts) against his estate. But you don't have to use any of your own money and have no personal liability or obligation for his debts, and if the $350 is all he had, that's all they are going to get.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption