What to do about mod in my apartment?

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 22, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about mod in my apartment?

In the bedroom, there is black mold on the wall next to the window and the whole window frame is attacked by black mold. I started to get headaches at night, running nose an feel often wired while sleeping in the bedroom. I getting very afraid of how the black mold can affect my health. I do not have health insurance due to low income household.I really do need to seek medical advice and help regarding the mold situation. I did inform the landlord but they just want me to clean it myself with cleaning supply. After some research, I read that I should not remove the mold by myself.

Asked on April 22, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that the state of Arizona does not have specific laws regarding mold written in to the books, so to speak, but that does not mean you have no rights.   The mold has to being caused by some condition that exists in your apartment (leaky windows, etc.) and the reult is what I would think would be a berach of the "warranty of habitability" in your state landlord tenant laws.  I would go and speak with an attorney in your area or a legal aid attorney about the matter and discuss the possibility of with holding rent.  Do not clean it yourself.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption