What is the law regarding visas and marriage?

UPDATED: Mar 24, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 24, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the law regarding visas and marriage?

I am a male U.K national and citizen engaged to a female U.S national and citizen. We want to get married in several months in the US and apply for permanent residency for me. I currently work abroad, but having both read mass amounts of information regarding the steps and the process that we have to take, we are a little confused. We would like to know if it is essential to apply for the K1 fiance visa? Also, once we are married, what exactly is the process we must take from there?

Asked on March 24, 2013 under Immigration Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Once you marry an American citizen in order for you to have permanent residency in this country you need to go down to the nearest immigration and naturalization department and apply for a visa as a married spouse to an American citizen. In the mean time you need to apply for the K1 fiance visa.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption