What to do if a dealer never told methat Iwas buying a rebuilt salvage vehicle?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a dealer never told methat Iwas buying a rebuilt salvage vehicle?

i bought a car almost 2 yrs ago and went to a dealer for trade and found out it was a salvage rebuilt. I never knew anything and always thought I had a clean title. The dealer I bought it from never said anything about it period even that there was damages; he just sold it to me like it was normal. Can I do anything about this? Would he take it back and give me something with a clean title?

Asked on September 3, 2011 under General Practice, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you write, it may be that the dealer committed fraud. From is generally the knowing or intentional misrepresentation of material, or critical, information which induces someone to enter into a transaction which the other party would not otherwise have entered into. It can also sometimes be the deliberate omission, or withholding, or information that a person has a duty to disclose or which any average reasonable person would conclude should be disclosed in the course of a transaction--such as that a car was salvage. Therefore, there is reasonable chance thaty in not saying the car was salvage, the dealer committed fraud, and if so, that could give you grounds to rescind the transaction or seek monetary compensation. You should discuss this matter with an attorney in detail, an should do so quickly; if you take too long, you may run out of time to take legal action (the statute of limitations may be exceeded).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption