daughter is 17 should i try to collect child support??

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

daughter is 17 should i try to collect child support??

daughter is 17. father is only paying 250 a month for child support starting when she was 10… he left when she was 4. (verbal agreement on the $250 cause he didnt have a job at that time) single mom working 2 jobs to pay for things. college is coming up in a yr (and im broke) How can i get help to have him help pay for college??? he has 2 kids and wife and a great paying job. we werent married.

Asked on June 17, 2009 under Family Law, Washington


L.M., Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You can always go to court and ask for back child support and see what the court says.  He is only obligated to pay child support until your daughter turns 18 and is not obligated to pay for college.  (Neither are you, by the way.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption