Daughter allowed her friend to drive my vehicle and she crashed it.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Daughter allowed her friend to drive my vehicle and she crashed it.

I gave permission to drive my car and in turn she allowed her friend to drive the car. Her friend crashed the car resulting in the car being totaled. New Link Destination
not get the girl in trouble I told my insurance company that I gave her permission thinking the mother of the driver would help pay the remains of my loan after the insurance paid. I owe another $6200 on the car and the girl and her mother say they don’t have to pay. Can I take her to court to pay for some or all of the loan?

Asked on July 9, 2018 under Accident Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can the friend for the value of the car (the then-current or "blue book" value), to the extent that it was not paid by the insurer. (E.g. say the car was then worth $10k; if you received nothing from the insurer, you could sue for all $10k; if you received $8k, you could sue for $2k; if you received all but, say, a $500 deductible, you could sue for the $500; etc.). You can't sue for the balance on the loan--the law does not care about what you paid for the car, what you still owe on the car, etc.; that is not the measure of compensation. Rather, compensation is based on the value of the thing (the car) destroyed (totalled) at the time it was destroyed.
This is why, if you finance a car it is a good idea to buy "GAP" insurance to cover the amount you will still owe on the loan.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption