Damaged company vehicle , who’s responsible

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Damaged company vehicle , who’s responsible

I was in the company van parked on side street . When pulling out I turned my wheels as far as possible to miss a low tree branch, unfortunately the top of the van did not clear the branch and damaged the top of the van. Employer does not want to turn into insurance but wants to deduct a portion of it from my paycheck. Is this legal?

Asked on September 26, 2017 under Accident Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

1) You would be liable for the damage, because you were at-fault in causing it--someone who hits a stationary object (e.g. a tree branch) is almost by definition driving carelessly, and therefore at fault.
2) Therefore, since you would be liable, if you don't pay voluntarily, or agree to a payment plan (e.g. paycheck deductions), they could sue you for the money and expect to win.
3) They may not take money from your paycheck without your consent or agreement (i.e. against your will), but you may wish to consent to the deductions: if not, as stated, they could sue you for the money; and also, unless you have a still-in-effect written employment contract preventing your termination for this reason, you could be fired for damaging your employer's vehicle and not paying for it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption