What is my recourse if my car was damaged during the installation of a sound system?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my recourse if my car was damaged during the installation of a sound system?

I took my car to get a sound system and car wrap accents. During the installation process, the business damaged my car. I have gotten 2 estimates – 1 was for $3,400 and the other for $5,800. I was wondering what my options are?

Asked on August 15, 2017 under Business Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to file a claim with the shop's insurance carrier.  If the case is settled with the insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If the claim is NOT settled with the shop's insurance carrier, file a lawsuit for negligence against the shop.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable sound system installer would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).
You will need to mitigate (minimize) damages by having your car repaired for the lower estimate.  If you were to have it repaired  at the expensive place you mentioned, your damages will be reduced accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption