Can a custodial parent relocate 30 miles from current their address without having to go to court?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can a custodial parent relocate 30 miles from current their address without having to go to court?

I live in FL and have been the custodial parent since my kids were 1 and 3. They are now teenagers and we want to move 30 miles away from where we are now. My ex is telling me that we will go to court if I move, yet she has a job in the city that we want to move to. Do I have to give her legal notice of my move since it’s only 30 miles from where we are now?

Asked on February 10, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking divorce agreement s speak to the issue of relocation.  Do you have one?  I would read it. They generally state that you can move between 50 and 100 miles within the same state, but this is a negotiated term between the parties (although it has been discussed n case law I am sure and there are certain precedents that the courts have set on the matter in every state).  The theory behind relocation is that it can not be cumbersome or unreasonable for the non-custodial parent to have access to the children, for commuting, schooling, etc., and your visitation agreement will impact the matter as well.  I think that if your ex will not agree you need to seek modify your divorce decree and you may need legal help with that.  You will need to meet certain criteria. Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption