Currently working as on site property management received a 1099 form stating I am a independent contractor

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Currently working as on site property management received a 1099 form stating I am a independent contractor

Currently working as a on site property
manager for a 16 unit building. I received a
1099 form stating I am a independent
contractor and now i have to pay over 2,600
in taxes. Wanted to know if thats even legal
for them to do.

Asked on June 19, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can find the criteria for when someone is an independent contractor vs. an employee on the U.S. Dept. of Labor website (and similar criteria on the IRS website). Look them up and compare vs. your job. That said, it is likely that you are NOT an independent contractor, and that therefore, the employer should have paid the employer portion of employment tax for you (and provided you any benefits provided to its other employees, like health insurance or vacation or sick days). I practice landlord-tenant law and am familiar with property managers, including on-site ones: the employer has sufficient control over how, when and where they do their job as to qualify them as employees, not independent contractors (they lack the "independence" expected of "independent contractors"). It is possible or even likely that you have been misclassified and should be treated and paid as an employee; if you believe (after looking at the DOL and IRS websites) that is the case, contact the department of labor to file a complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption