CT Town over assessed Motorhome property tax, how to get a refund?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CT Town over assessed Motorhome property tax, how to get a refund?

My partner and I live in CT and purchased a new motor home in March 2017. We received a partial property car tax bill December 2017 and then another full property tax bill in July 2018. When we received the full property tax bill in July 2018 we noticed that the town over assessed the motor home by approximately 50,000 more then we paid for the vehicle brand new. We were able to protest the 2018 tax bill and the town admitted fault. We were refunded 1000. The town assessors office is refusing to refund us the difference on the partial tax bill that we paid for in December of 2017. When we spoke to the assessor they stated that it was out of their hands and that if we hire a lawyer they would not fight it. We consider this a clerical error and don’t feel that we would have to hire a lawyer to fight it. Please help

Asked on November 14, 2018 under Business Law, Connecticut


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

But you do have to fight it in court if you want the money: court is the way--the ONLY way--to get someone (including a town) to pay money which they owe you but refuse to pay voluntarily; only the court can order payment. So if they will not voluntarily pay you, you have to sue. 
Whether it's worth hiring a lawyer or whether you should try to represent yourself "pro se" (as your own attorney)--or simply give up on the refund--depends on how much is at stake. Assuming a lawyer will cost $1,500 or more (possibly considerably more). Assume that even if the town does not fight this, if you act as your own lawyer, you will give up at least 1 -2, possibly more, full work days. On that basis, decide whether to hire an attorney, to sue on your own, or to give up on the refund.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption