Constructive Possession of a Controlled Substance

Constructive possession of a controlled substance exists where the suspect did not have the drugs in his actual possession, but did have dominion or control over them, knowledge of their presence, and knowledge of what the contraband actually was. To find out more about a constructive possession charge and defenses you could offer, click here.

Drug Manufacturing Charges And Sentences

Do you have questions about drug manufacturing charges and sentences? We tell you what these crimes involve, what the sentences can be, and about possible defenses. If you’re facing charges related to making drugs or to drug distribution (AKA delivery or sale), learn more here.

I was arrested for cocaine possession; should I take the prosecutor’s plea offer?

I got busted with two rocks of cocaine and the first time in court prosecutor offered to let me plead to the possession for one day in jail and probation. Should I take it? — That depends on a number of factors. Why did the prosecution make such an offer off the bat? Is it just that they have too great a case load and the prosecutor’s office is under-staffed? Or maybe there is a problem with the prosecutor’s case against you? Perhaps the case would be thrown out on legal grounds, and so you were made this offer in the hopes that he wouldn’t have to lose.

Proving Drug Possession

Drug Possession, or possession of a controlled substance, is a crime which may vary in punishment depending on the quantity and type of drug and the circumstances. To avoid conviction, in some states a defendant may have the option of drug diversion or rehabilitation – usually for simple possession charges. Large quantities, however, may result in greater charges such as possession with intent to sell and more serious penalties.