Asset Forfeiture: Property Confiscated by Government

An asset forfeiture action concerns the government seizure of property in relation to a criminal case. In such a proceeding, the city, county, state, or federal government seeks the transfer of title to a vehicle or other property alleged to have been used in a crime from you to itself. The way you will attack their attempt to take your property depends on the court in which the lawsuit is taking place.

Will the state pay my private attorney if I run out of money right before trial?

If you have hired an attorney of your own, it is your responsibility to pay that attorney. Should you run out of funds to do so before the trial takes place, you will be forced to switch to the services of a public defender unless you can find another way to pay the attorney or unless it is so close to the time of trial that the court refuses to excuse the private lawyer.

Is it worth hiring a lawyer for a misdemeanor?

Hiring an attorney to represent you in court might be worth the cost, even if the charge is only a misdemeanor. Possibility of doing time depending on the type of misdemeanor you are charged with, plus the effects of a conviction on your record, are top reasons for hiring a criminal lawyer.

Can I fire my public defender without having another attorney?

Defendants can usually fire public defenders assigned to defend them without having substitute counsel to represent them. However, courts are extremely reluctant to permit attorneys to withdraw on criminal cases where another attorney is not available to pick up the case. Click this link for advice on how to handle your case if you fire your public defender.