What to do if a creditor is after me for money I don’t believe that I owe?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a creditor is after me for money I don’t believe that I owe?

I sold a car about 6 years ago. New owner did not register title, and abandoned vehicle. Now the towing/storage company if after me for the money. The sent me a letter 3 years ago saying they were selling the vehicle for what was owed, now they are after me for towing/storage. I no longer have receipt for vehicle when I sold it. Am I liable for this debt?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you sold the car six (6) years ago to the new owner and did not change ownership registration, you should have done so. This is why you are being contacted for unpaid storgage costs post sale.

The towing/storage company has yet to file suit against you. It is simply pursuing you for an unpaid debt allegedly owed. You need to write the towing/storage company a letter advising it that the car it impounded was not yours at the time it was impounded setting forth the name and address of the owner at the time.

Keep a copy of the letter for future reference. In the interim try and gather all documentation showing that you sold the vehicle before it was towed and impounded.

From what you have written in your question, you should not be responsible for the towing and storage charges since you were not the car's actual owner at the time it was towed and impounded.

Good luck.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption