What to do if my credit report shows bankruptcy even though I did not file?

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my credit report shows bankruptcy even though I did not file?

My daughter filed for Chapter 13 bankruptcy and used my address for mailing purposes only. She was in the process of moving and did not want to lose any important information. Since that time my mortgage company has informed me that my home has been flagged for bankruptcy. My daughter does not live there nor was or is she on any note, mortgage or deed. Is this legal? It already has shown up on my credit report and will not be removed until 2017. I called the mortgage company and ask them how this was possible and they said that it was their policy and procedure and they would not take it off.

Asked on January 4, 2011 under General Practice, Kentucky


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Let me get this straight: it appears under YOUR name as a bankruptcy filing and YOUR social security number?  I can not possibly understand how that could be.  If your daughter had a judgement against her in her name but lived at your address it could not show up on YOUR credit report.  So here is what you need to do.  Call the mortgage company and ask for the highest level of supervisor that you can get a name for.  Then write a letter by certified mail and copy the home office (if you can find the name of the President do so).  Let them know in no uncertain terms that they have incorrectly reported information on YOUR credit report under YOUR name and should they fail to remove it immediately you will seek legal help in doing so and sue them for costs and fees associated therewith.  Then at the same time send a letter to all the credit reporting agencies disputing the entry.  By law they have to contact the mortgage company for their side of the story.  The mortgage company has 30 days to respond.  If they do not then the credit reporting agency has to remove the entry.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption