What happens is someone else signs my name to open up a credit line?

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens is someone else signs my name to open up a credit line?

My girlfriend and I bought a new bed recently. We went together and we filled out paperwork to see if we prequalified for a loan. She co-signed for me. At that point we waited until the next day to finish the final paperwork as we had to put some money down upfront and had to wait. That morning I didn’t wake up and go. She went by herself. Now while at the storethe f inal paperwork needed to be finished and signed. Remind you I wasn’t present. So my girlfriend signed all the paperwork even on the credit agreement form (where I was supposed sign) she signed her name. Is that valid? Is she responsible?

Asked on June 5, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, when someone signs your name to something it is known as forgery.  People can sign documents with consent if the consenting party has given them the proper authority, like a Power of Attorney.  Listen, she was absolutely wrong to do it and I think that you have every right to be angry.  But may I ask: did you intend to sign the paperwork anyway the next day but just over slept?  If the answer is yes it does not change the fact that she forged your name which is illegal.  I just think that you may not want to jump the gun and have her arrested.  I would contact the place where you intended to purchase the bed and let them know that they might want to pull the paperwork and hold it for the time being.  Then decide what you wish to do.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption