What to do if my credit is getting ruined because of a charge posted months after the account was paid and closed satisfactory?

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my credit is getting ruined because of a charge posted months after the account was paid and closed satisfactory?

I had a credit card until the interest got too high, so I paid off the account and closed it. After that, a charge was made to my closed account that was allowed to go through. When I received letters from them I never opened them because I had no reason to; I thought they were trying to get me back as a customer. A few months ago I checked my credit score and it went from 805 to 607 because of the late charges in the past due amounts on the bill from an account that was closed. The card issuer says I have no recourse which I do not believe.

Asked on January 18, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would write the credit card company about the situation that you are facing where there seems to be an unauthorized charge on a credit card account that you closed after the account was closed. In the letter, I would ask how the charge was allowed to go through on a closed account and advise the credit card company's representative that you did not make the charge and it was unauthorized.

You also need to explain why it took you so long to find out about the unauthorized charge. Keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

I suggest that you read the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act online to see if the credit card company you are dealing with is engaging in bad credit card debt collection practices with you. If so, your recourse is to contact your state's attorney general's office about it (consumer division).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption