Credit Card Fraud

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Credit Card Fraud

My sister and brother in law opened multiple lines of credit under my mother’s name for approximately $130,000. My mother agreed to help my sister when she asked if she can open one line of credit . She was not aware that they opened up multiple lines of credit. They would not allow her to see her credit report and now they have persuaded her to file for bankruptcy because they cannot afford to pay these credit cards. What can my mother do. I’m afraid for my mom.

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, California


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

at this point the lines of credit are in your mothers name. Your mom has two real options, either she can pay them or file bankruptcy or she can claim fraud and file suit again your brother and sister

What I would advise is that your mother consults with a local attorney who specializes in this type of law. They can explain to her the options, what the repercussions are with each option and allow her to make an informed decision as to how to proceed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption