If a credit card company violated a payment agreementand sold my debt to third party, what can I do?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a credit card company violated a payment agreementand sold my debt to third party, what can I do?

I entered into a 12 month payment agreement with a credit card company. They had access to my account to pull payment every 18th. They pulled payment in May and on 06/10 they sold my debt to a 3rd party. The credit card company said there is nothing they can do; I should deal with the 3rd party collections company. Since I was in compliance of the agreement, can they sell that debt for non-compliance? Did they violate the agreement? Can I get restitution or at least get the debt back to the credit card company?

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Did they say that they sold your account for non-compliance?  I think quite the contrary.  They sold your agreement for an amount up front to another company, probably for less than the agreement was worth paid in full, to get quick cash.  Is that in violation of your agreement?  Probably not but you need to read your agreement to be sure.  Hopefully you have a copy.  What does it say?

Be aware that the party that purchased the agreement must comply with the terms as agreed. They bought the contract lock, stock and barrel.  I would indeed contact them to make sure that things will proceed as agreed. Be firm and know your rights.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption