what to do if a county roadside tree is destroying my driveway?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what to do if a county roadside tree is destroying my driveway?

A county owned roadside tree was planted right next to my driveway. It is large, and reaching a diameter of 6 feet. It is lifting up the apron of my drive way so that itcannot be used. This was reported 2 years ago. The county inspected the tree, saying it should not have been planted there and said they were responsible for removing the tree and repairing the driveway. I’ve called the county, the tree person says he’ll be there in 2 or 3 weeks but will not put anything in writing.The damage caused by the tree has caused my entire drive to fail.

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the tree on the county roadside is damaging your property, there really is nothing you can do legally under the laws of all states concerning being compensated for your damaged driveway. The reason is that the tree is a natural object.

However, one way to get the tree removed is to write the municipality in charge of the tree and mention that it is a dangerous condition which could cause a person to trip and hurt themself. By doing this, you might end up getting the tree removed by the governmental entity.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption