County residence is wrong

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

County residence is wrong

My husband filed for a divorce. It’s non
contested and we live in different counties
now. I’m looking over papers before I sign and
the county we married and separated in is
wrong. It has the county he lives in now
instead of the correct county which is my
county and they are a few hours away.
Should I get them to change this?
I’m thinking it needs to be changed.

Asked on March 8, 2018 under Family Law, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your husband can correct the county name by filing an amendment to the petition for dissolution of marriage.  
The amendment would say, the petition for dissolution of marriage (identify name of case and case number) is amended as follows:  The marriage occurred on ______ (date) in _______ county, Alabama instead of _____ county, Alabama. Separation occurred on _____ (date) in ______ county, Alabama instead of _______ county, Alabama.
_________, Petitioner                Date _______
(your husband's printed name and signature on a separate line)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption