Could Plastic Surgeon be sued for substandard work on my daughters Rhino/Septoplasty.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Could Plastic Surgeon be sued for substandard work on my daughters Rhino/Septoplasty.

Rhino/Septoplasty noseSurgery was performed July 2014 on my daughter, by
Cosmetic Facial Services. Purpose was to correct her deviated septum and to
correct external shape of her nose. My daughter had continued breathing
problems through her nose and continuous post nasal drip since the surgery. We
had surgery in FL and moved out of state soon after. In Dec. 2015, we went to
Lawrence Otolaryngology Assoc. in Lawrence, KS where we now live, because of my
daughters persistent problems with her nose. The Doctor found that my daughter
had significant nasal airway problems, blockage due to adhesions from
rhinoplasty and a deviated septum. She had surgery in Jan. 2016 to correct the
problems, which were caused by the original rhinoplasty surgery a year and a
half earlier. Original surgery should have corrected deviated septum and did
not. This is documented in Doctors report.

Asked on March 25, 2016 under Malpractice Law, Kansas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

In the beginning of your question, you said that the surgery occurred nine years ago.  If that occurred in KS, it is too late to file a lawsuit as you have missed the statute of limitations.  If it occurred in another state, you may still have time to file your lawsuit.  There are only a few states in which you have not missed the statute of limitations if the surgery occurred nine years ago.
However, near the end of your question, you said that the original rhinoplasty surgery occurred a year and a half ago.  If that is the case, you have not missed the statute of limitations and can still file your lawsuit, but should do so immediately as the statute of limitations is rapidly approaching.  If the statute of limitations expires, your daughter has lost her rights forever in the matter.
Medical malpractice is negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable medical practitioner in the community would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).
If your daughter is a minor, you will need to be appointed guardian ad litem to file a lawsuit on her behalf.
Damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit for negligence) would include compensation for the medical bills and compensation for pain and suffering.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills based on the medical reports.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption