Could I be charged for selling my ex boyfriends stuff while hes in jail

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Could I be charged for selling my ex boyfriends stuff while hes in jail

So my ex boyfriend beat me up and I pressed
charges and gave the cops all his drugs inside
our apartment he was charged with
harassment over 10 misdemeanors and a
felony and I was given an order of protection
that he broke when his parents bailed him out.
If he stays in jail I need to get rid of his stuff
and move out of our apartment so I want to sell
his stuff since I have to pay to move

Asked on May 20, 2019 under Criminal Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

His stuff is his stuff: you can't sell it. If you do, you will have committed theft, no different from if you took and sold his belongings while he was not in jail, or stole from a friend's or family member's house. 
You can certainly move out and leave his belongings behind for the landlord to deal with, but you can't sell his belongings and keep the money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption