Contract work with no payment in over 60 days

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Contract work with no payment in over 60 days

What steps need to be taken in small claims when it has been well over 60 days
with no payment from a modeling agency. I cannot find any of their information on
the web, which makes me suspicious. All that I have is their phone number and
P.O box that was listed on the contract I signed.
I also noticed that it says any litigations must take place in Mariana County,
Indiana. Is there anyways to bypass this?

Asked on March 22, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You may not have any recourse. First, "venue selection" clauses, or contractual terms about where litigation must occur, are generally enforceable. In the case of fraud, you may be able to get around it, but it's an uphill battle; there is a reasonably good chance you'd have to sue in IN.
Second, you can't sue without a street address for service of process. 
Third, if they are physically located in another state, you can't sue in small claims court (even if you got around the IN clause), since small claims is only for local cases; therefore, you'd have to use the slower and more expensive process for a "regular" lawsuit in county or district court. This may make it not cost effective.
Fourth, even if you sued them and won, if they don't then pay the judgment voluntarily, you'd have to undertake collections efforts, which can take a considerable amount of time, effort, and money.
There simply may be no good way to get your money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption