Contract for employment

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Contract for employment

I worked for a funeral company in which I had signed and agreed to a contract for school to be paid if I finished school and worked there for 5 years. Well, I worked there for 6 months and decided that it wasn’t for me so if I quit. According to the contract, I would have to pay for a certain percentage back which was $3500 in 1 year. When that year came to 14 months ago, I had emailed my old supervisor and contacted the main office to ask who I pay and how. They said they would get back to me but it’s now been over a year since and I have no call back. ow long by law do I wait before they can’t collect the money from me anymore or since it’s under contract which I signed they can ask for it anytime? I’ve been on standby for over a year now with this money.

Asked on August 5, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

A written contract can be enforced in FL for up to five years after it was breached (that is, the statute of limitations, or time to take legal action if necessary, is five years). Therefore, they can seek the money from you for up to five years after you were first supposed to repay it but failed to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption