Connecticut Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jul 16, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

You might be surprised by how simple it is to change your name in Connecticut. In fact, the process is mostly a matter of filling out a simple form and filing it with the proper court. From forms to fees, the following information will help you begin the process.

What forms are required for a Connecticut name change?

The following form is required to change your name in Connecticut:

  • Application for Change of Name (PC 910-adult PC 910A-minor) (note: this form is only for filing in probate court)

This forms can be found on the Connecticut Judicial Branch website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Connecticut?

The completed forms must be filed with the clerk of the superior or probate court in the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the name change forms?


Is there a filing fee in Connecticut for a name change?

Check with your local courthouse. There most likely is a filing fee for your name change application. Courts generally waive filing fees with a sufficient showing of financial hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Check with your local courthouse. Sometimes courts require a hearing where you’ll have to justify your name change so the court is assured that you’re not trying to avoid a debt or creditors.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Check with your local courthouse. Often courts require you to publish notice of your name change so any member of the community who might take issue with the change may come forward with any grievance.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption