Connecticut Eviction

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2020

Connecticut landlords must go through the eviction process before they can kick out a tenant. Though a tenant may be destructive or unreasonable, it is illegal for a landlord to lock the tenant out or turn off utilities to force the tenant to leave. A Connecticut landlord must always follow the law or risk having his or her eviction suit dismissed.

Available Connecticut Termination Notices

In Connecticut, landlords must give tenants notice that their tenancy is being terminated before the landlord may file an eviction action against the tenant. The same notice is used for all Connecticut fixed-term lease evictions and it is a Notice to Quit. This notice will state the reasons for the termination (e.g. failure to pay rent or breach of the lease). Once the tenant receives the notice, he or she will have 3 full days to move out. If the tenant fails to leave, the landlord can then file the eviction action.

If the tenancy is month-to-month, the notice cannot be served until 10 days after the rent became due. If it is week-to-week, the notice cannot be served until 5 days after the rent became due. See the Connecticut landlord eviction handbook for more information. You can also find forms available on the Connecticut courts website (see “Getting Help” below).

Getting Help

In Connecticut, evictions are handled in a special court called the housing sessions. Evictions must be filed at the housing session court where the property is located. Find your local housing session court at the Connecticut courts website. You can also use the website to find standard eviction forms. While filling out forms may seem like the cleanest and quickest manner of getting rid of an unwanted tenant, reality does not always turn out as planned. If you are unsure of the termination and/or eviction process at any point, you may find it best to hire an experienced Connecticut landlord tenant attorney. You can also refer to Questions to Ask Your Connecticut Evictions Lawyer below when speaking with an attorney.

Self-Help Evictions in Connecticut

Locking out your tenant in Connecticut is a criminal offense. You may be guilty of a misdemeanor if you do so. In addition, the tenant may be able to sue you in civil court for double his or her damages (Connecticut Gen. Stat.’ 47a-43).

Questions to Ask Your Connecticut Evictions Lawyer

1. How many evictions cases have you handled?
  2. How many were successful/unsuccessful?
  3. How long will the eviction process take?
  4. For tenants: How long do I have before I MUST move out?
  5. For landlords: Will I be able to get a judgment for back rent for the amount of time the tenant has been living in the rental property illegally?
  6. What do you charge?
  7. For landlords: If I hire you, will I be subject to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA)?