Conflict of interest?-child of elderly parent with dementia writes other child out of will

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Conflict of interest?-child of elderly parent with dementia writes other child out of will

An elderly mother of 4 has dementia and has gotten in numerous car accidents. The siblings decide that they need to take the car from the mother for her safety, so the child that lives closest takes the car. The mother then labels the one child a

Asked on September 24, 2018 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The Will can be challenged in probate court by the child, who was disinherited because the mother with dementia, did not have the testamentary capacity (mental competency) to make a new Will or amend the current Will.  Furthermore, the amended Will or new Will did not comply with the witness requirements and signature requirements for a valid Will  or codocil.  A codocil is an amendment to a Will.  Failure to comply with the signature and witness requirements are further grounds for contesting the Will in probate court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption