What to do about condominum parking issues?

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 28, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about condominum parking issues?

My condominum has assigned me a parking space. Unfortunately, one of my neighbors is parking on my spot instead of his. He complained to the board about me parking in visitor parking a couple of years ago. Since then, I don’t interact with this neighbor. Also, the condo board president seemed to side with this neighbor. The condo by-laws says parking only on the assigned space and the tow will be at the owner’s expense. Should I retain a private attorney or can I just simply get the car towed by informing management via registered mail? What are the legal implications if the neighbor’s car gets towed?

Asked on March 28, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Sometimes even if you are with in your legal right to act - as it appears you would be in the tow situation here - for all practical purposes it wuld not be a good idea to make that your first step.  The word "retaliation" comes to mind and making things even worse with the neighbor than they are now.  I would hire an attorney on a flat fee basis to write a letter on your behalf to the neightbor and the condo board advising of this infringement of you right and requesting that it be recitfied asap.  It might be enough to scare them all. And if it is not and you seek help from the courts or self help (like the tow) the courts will take note that you tried to resolve the matter amicably prior to requesting their intervention.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption