Condo owner with a roommate?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Condo owner with a roommate?

Does a condo owner need permission from his/her board of directors to have a roommate? This is in Virginia.

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  The answer to this question lies in the condominium documents.  this is the condo bylaws that you were given at the closing that govern what you can and cannot do.  I suggest that you review them to determine whether you need permission to have a roommate or what kind of permission you need to have people not on the deed living there.  It would suprise me that you have to get permission to have a roommate.  However, you need to abide by these laws.  If you are unsure after reading the document, i would as a lawyer (if you can afford one) or a board member on the condo association to advise you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption