How can a condo board stop a delinquent owner from renting out their unit?

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can a condo board stop a delinquent owner from renting out their unit?

I’d like to get any help with a though situation our association is going through. We have 1 unit owner who abandoned his apartment last year. He doesn’t pay maintenance since then (neither the mortgage nor property taxes). All of the sudden he appeared today to let us know he is renting the apartment. We are putting a lien already for the past debt due but is there any legal resources we could use to stop him from renting up until he pays what he owes? We can’t pay his tenants usage of water, electricity in common areas and amenities usage such as parking, elevator etc.

Asked on December 20, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

One possibilty is to look into a lien on the tenant's rental to pay overdue fees on the property owed the association. Whether or not that is a possibility would first need an attorney experienced in association disputes to be consulted with and most likely a review of the recorded "covenants, conditions & restrictions" that I presume are in place concerning the planned unit development that you are writing about.

If the association can get an order from the court to have the tenant of the property owner you are writing about pay the association the rent for past dues, then you will have a solution to the problem you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption