Company vehicle

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Company vehicle

I had 3 incidents with my company vehicle. The deductible is $500. The company charged me $3,000 instead of just one deductible. Also, each employee has a tracking device on the vehicle for gps and driving habits. If you violate any of their rules, brake too fast, go over speed limit etc. you pay $50 each month you do this. Are these practices legal?

Asked on October 25, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

1) If you damaged their vehicle, they can recover all the costs to repair the car from you. They don't have to submit it to insurance if they don't want to: if they paid out of pocket, they can recover those costs.
If you refuse to pay voluntarily, to get the money, they'd have to sue you and prove in court that a) you were negligent (e.g. careless) and caused the accidents/damage through your negligence, and b) how much out-of-pocket (not paid by insurance) costs they incurred, since they can only recover their actual costs.
2) Yes, as long as you have notice of the rules regarding driving practices, they can charge you for violating those rules. By continuing to work there with knowledge of those rules, a court would hold that you agreed or consented to them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption